Monday, June 13, 2011

Scouting!




Not that kind of scouting, the STARCRAFT kind of scouting!


The first(and most basic) strategy for StarCraft 2 is Scouting.
What is Scouting? Well…Scouting usually involves using a Worker(Probe, Drone, SCV) to reveal remote areas of the map to gain information about the opposing player(s).
We should be scouting for multiple reasons, such as:
  • To uncover enemy game-play decisions
  • To reveal the expansions of the opponent
  • To learn the location of enemy units
  • To facilitate the prediction of tech choices
  • To assist game-play decisions
Now they can be doing a large variety of things , but how are we supposed to know EXACTLY what they’re doing? Sometimes its having an extra worker, double gas right away or dropping early production buildings. Some common indicators of strategy are:
  • Proxy - lack of buildings in base.
  • Cheese - lack of workers and more unit-producing structures.
  • Double Gas - would indicate a fast tech build.
  • No Gas - usually indicates a fast expand.
  • Structures - the type of unit producing structures will give an indication of what build or what units the opponent will use.
  • Placement - the placement of the buildings can indicate if the opponent will turtle or play aggressively.
Some Races have their own little tricks too, for example, Zerg players usually send their initial Overlords to find their opponent’s base, making sure to position them close to a cliff or edge if there is a possibility of ground-to-air units. Drones can also be used to build an extractor in the opponents base, canceling it before it finish building, continue scouting and repeat. Canceling a building results in a 25% loss of the cost. The prolonging of denying a geyser by canceling and rebuilding even up to 4 times would only result in a loss of 25 minerals and can be very worth it.
I’ve personally never used to drone dodge technique before, despite having played plenty o’ Zerg in my day, Some people may feel that small bit of an edge is what they need, a lot of people do not. It all comes down to how you wanna play it out, there isn’t much else going on at that point in the game anyway.
That’s all I got for today folks, next topic is going to be Harassment; The kind you don’t go to Jail for.

19 comments:

  1. Nice strats here, I'll try em out

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all really solid advice. Followed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gives me alot to think about in my own SC strats, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks man! I´ve never used any of thease, but after reading this, i guess i should try out a new strategy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some great tips you've go there! I always watch TotalBiscuit's vids on YT for SC2 strategies, but yours are great also! Followed. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What is your take on the Idra/Day 9 zerg can't scout debate? I feel like there is a problem with zergs ability to scout however it is not as bad as many people think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw some swarm tactic video the other day ... amused me alot

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually scout rush at the beginning with Zerg

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was actually going to start playing starcraft 2 after I switch back to PC, nice post, I'll continue to follow as you post.

    -
    Follow back, if you're interested. :PP Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome guide, will really help my game!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent info. I'm a SC2 noob, so this will actually come in very handy! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome strategy guide dude. Please post more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. great tips, keep up the awesome blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Solid strategy. The scouts win the war.

    ReplyDelete
  15. first time I played I got my butt kicked, I'm gonna try this.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Scouting is the most important step for any race...
    It saved my ass so many times!

    ReplyDelete